Friday, February 8, 2008

Librarian Begins Checking Out 23 Things on a Stick

I consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to technology. I guess it comes partly with being in my generation (I knew how to hook up a VCR when I was eight) and not having my mom's genetics when it comes to anything spatial. (Note: When I was a kid, my mom owned a video store and was unable to hook up VCRs back in the day when you would rent them out to customers.)

I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I shudder when I think about how kids in general are so dependent on it without having the appreciation for it; I've had the experience of having to know how to do things without it. For example, I've used a typewriter and know the pain of retyping a page just to correct an error.

I'm looking forward to picking up some more skills and just generally getting to know some more people in the library world.

4 comments:

aurora said...

Welcome to the 23 Things on a Stick! I certainly don't think setting up any of the 23 things will be as difficult as setting up a VCR, but I didn't grow up in a video store, either.

I hope you do go and visit the blogs of the other SELS participants. You probably already saw the link from the front page, but you can find those here as well. I hope it helps introduce you to those in the library world.

Ann said...

Congrats on getting started with 23 Things on a Stick!

SELCO staff, including me, will be working through the program as well. We hope to have fun along the way and will offer the opportunity for regional prizes to all who complete the program by National Library Week. Enjoy!

Ann Hutton at SELCO

M. M. Gurung said...

I'm excited to be working on it - I'll most likely be posting on weekends.

Even more, I'm hoping to develop some networking contacts within SELCO and find some like-thinking minds. :o)

Beverly said...

I don't consider myself very savvy when it comes to technology, but I have been trying to become so. Working in a library is helping, but I still find myself learning from my children. It frightens me to think of how far we have come, and as you said, how dependent our children are without appreciating it. I too am looking for skills, and am excited to meet more people in the library field. I am constantly shocked and pleased with the amazing sense of humor that seems to accompany people who work in a traditionally quiet place.