Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thing #29 Google Tools

I chose to use:

Google Alerts (Because hey, I already use a zillion of their tools.) I set up some alert searches for:

  • "Library Use Economy"
  • "Kee Town & Country Centre" (a nonprofit board I am on)
  • "Albert Lea Public Library" (where I work)
  • My name

Basically, I thought it'd be a great way to stay on top of news and possible references to these topics in the news. Very happy to have added this to my Google tool repertoire.

I worked with Google Sites for a while. Am actually going to suggest my nonprofit group use this for our website because of the functionality it offers - multiple people can cooperatively edit and update. Very nice features. It is not as user friendly as it could be, however, as I had some frustration manipulating the navigation bar and adding pages. I've worked with programs that were more intuitive to the user. This isn't one of them. A bit clunky but I am hopeful that Google will improve it as time goes on since many of their other apps are so slick.

I am also a user of Google Health. I basically use it to enter in general health stats so that I have an easy reference for looking up the last time I had a shot or what my blood pressure has been, that sort of thing, since none of my health care providers have the sharing function that is offered with some providers.

I also use Google Calender...not extensively but I think I'll be using it more since you can put the calender on your Google Site. (How handy.) And share it.

No comments: